Awesome sword dance!

Farasha Hanem

A lady in my bellydance class posted this on Facebook; I so want to sword dance like this! :D

Sadly, one of my recent sword practices at home ended up with my sword getting stuck in the ceiling.

BTW, thank you, Mosaic, for making embedding easy to understand! ^^ *huggles!*

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am glad you found my explanation helpful Farasha:D

Funny you posted that clip, I just received that DVD in the mail today and I haven't had a chance to even take the wrapper off it yet.

To have the agility of a young dancer - If I got down on my knees like that someone would have to come and pull me up again:lol:
~Mosaic

Daimona

Sadly, one of my recent sword practices at home ended up with my sword getting stuck in the ceiling.

:shok: How did you manage to do that?

Anyway, thanks for sharing that video. Beautiful. We better start practicing right away if we want to dance like that in the future!

Farasha Hanem

:shok: How did you manage to do that?

Anyway, thanks for sharing that video. Beautiful. We better start practicing right away if we want to dance like that in the future!

I didn't realize that the ceiling in our bedroom was lower than the ceiling in the other rooms of our apartment! I want to try to incorporate some warrior-type moves in a sword solo, and as I lifted up my sword, I heard and felt a "chnk," then looked up to see the point of my sword stuck in the ceiling. :redface:

Oh, and you're welcome. :D I'm sure you're much better at sword than I am, but I guess practice eventually makes perfect? Or at least, no more stuck swords in the ceiling! :lol:

Reen.Blom

I like the way she moves her upper body and arms... wow those snaky arms, I wanna!

Hey Farasha, didnt think you were into tribal fusion.... LOL

Is it a dancer who's releasing a tribal fusion DVD with WDnew york? I never really heard of her before!

One thing I did not like about the performance is that she seems a bit disconncted from music... Like doing all those highly technical elements yet the music playing separatly.... granted she does get into music like.... every 60 seconds... LOL

I dunno lacks some emotion for me due to being separated from music... (at least this is how I percieve it) yet wow what body control...!

onela

This is from a Tarot-themed show, right? Mosaic, please review it for us when you get 'er unwrapped :)

Farasha Hanem

I like the way she moves her upper body and arms... wow those snaky arms, I wanna!

Hey Farasha, didnt think you were into tribal fusion.... LOL

Is it a dancer who's releasing a tribal fusion DVD with WDnew york? I never really heard of her before!

One thing I did not like about the performance is that she seems a bit disconncted from music... Like doing all those highly technical elements yet the music playing separatly.... granted she does get into music like.... every 60 seconds... LOL

I dunno lacks some emotion for me due to being separated from music... (at least this is how I percieve it) yet wow what body control...!

Yes, I love ATS and Tribal fushion. :D In fact, I was taking an ATS class for a few months, but had to quit because my teachers had some sort of inner turmoil in their troupe (along with individual personal problems), and stopped coming for awhile. :( They're not teaching for now, but a couple of them have come back to regular classes. I hope things are going better for them. :(

I own a big, mean Cas Hanwei that I dearly love, and want to do a Tribal fusion solo with it to Oojami's "Boomzaza." As I mentioned, I want to use a lot of warrior-type moves in my performance, but of course, I don't want to be a carbon-copy of this performance.

Reen.Blom

Wow farasha, I thought you were a cabaret girl! awesome! I wish I could join you! I am enchanted by sword dancing too, its on my to do list before I die, I just sould stop tangling in my own feet... LOL

you are kidding! You have a samurai sword to dance with? LOL Dont chop off your ears! Are you taught sword in class or you attend workshops?

For warrior poses, lotsa inspiration in Tai Chi ( Love it, wish I could affor to get back in class!!) It is like dancing....

I like Morgana's dancing, unfortunatly all her vids are so overly edited that the dance is lost many times....

Some sword in this one on like 2min

Another edited trailer

Who is the lady in the original post represting? Justice? LOL

Daimona

I didn't realize that the ceiling in our bedroom was lower than the ceiling in the other rooms of our apartment! I want to try to incorporate some warrior-type moves in a sword solo, and as I lifted up my sword, I heard and felt a "chnk," then looked up to see the point of my sword stuck in the ceiling. :redface:

:lol:

Oh, and you're welcome. :D I'm sure you're much better at sword than I am

I couldn't disagree more... You have a Cas Hanwei you've been practicing and performing with for some months. I've never danced with my el cheapo dance swords (got them as a present from a friend)... ;)

Farasha Hanem

Wow farasha, I thought you were a cabaret girl! awesome! I wish I could join you! I am enchanted by sword dancing too, its on my to do list before I die, I just sould stop tangling in my own feet... LOL

you are kidding! You have a samurai sword to dance with? LOL Dont chop off your ears! Are you taught sword in class or you attend workshops?

For warrior poses, lotsa inspiration in Tai Chi ( Love it, wish I could affor to get back in class!!) It is like dancing....

I like Morgana's dancing, unfortunatly all her vids are so overly edited that the dance is lost many times....

Some sword in this one on like 2min

Another edited trailer

Who is the lady in the original post represting? Justice? LOL

Well, it's not a samurai sword, it's a scimitar. :) It's letter-opener sharp and rather pointy at the end, so I'm always very careful and mindful of where the tip is so I don't accidentally hurt anyone, or damage any furniture! :shok:

Thank you very much for the vid posts! I'll make sure to add them in my YouTube playlists later and study them. I do need to increase my arm strength, though, my sword is over 3 pounds! :shok: I want to make my warrior moves very clean and as effortless-looking as possible.

I'd also like to incorporate a Turkish drop (I've been working on that move) into the dance, but I'm not sure if balancing the sword anywhere on me is such a good idea. I'm thinking it would be better to hold it with one or both hands, just not sure what my sword should be doing, or how I should hold it during the drop. I want it to look good, yet be safe.

maria_harlequin

I'd also like to incorporate a Turkish drop (I've been working on that move) into the dance, but I'm not sure if balancing the sword anywhere on me is such a good idea. I'm thinking it would be better to hold it with one or both hands, just not sure what my sword should be doing, or how I should hold it during the drop. I want it to look good, yet be safe.

I've done a quasi-Turkish drop with the sword balanced on my tummy and also on my chest. You can also balance it on your chin if you've got...well...the right chin for it! Some dancers can do it but my sword just won't stay on.

Farasha Hanem

*heart pounding like CRAZY after watching all the other amazing vids* O.O Wooooooooooooooooow!!! Those were all mind-blowing! I want to become a better sword dancer even more than ever! :D

Chani

I love all of these clips. Thank you.

Any idea about the pants the dancer in the first clip is wearing? They look fantastic but it's hard to see how the layers are worked.

Chani

Looking at it again I think it's kallots (spelling?) out of a silvery fabric over flared pants?

I'm quite envious of her fantastic figure as well as her mesmerising dancing.

Greek Bonfire

You sword dancers have my utmost admiration because I will never go there. Unlike Farasha, with my luck I wouldn't get it stuck in the ceiling, I would get it stuck in myself! You are all very brave - I'm pretty scared of swords!

Yes, call me a chicken but I would rather watch than participate. :clap:

Farasha Hanem

I'm not original!

Great vids !! I've always loved Izzys sworddances !

*melodramatic moment* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I was going to do a Turkish drop with my sword balanced on my chin for my solo I"m working on, and now I can't because now I'll be seen as a COPYCAAAAAAAAT!!!
I swear on a stack of Bibles I've never seen this video before today! Why are all the great ideas taken?

gisela

Super Moderator
Farasha, just do it anyway if you want to. Doing a single element like that is not being a copycat. Everything has been done somewhere. It's the whole presentation that counts, not the single moves.

Farasha Hanem

Well, that makes me feel a little bit better. Sorry for the drama moment. What you said does make sense; I guess there's really nothing new under the sun. For all I know, a dancer probably already did an ancient form of Turkish drop with a stick balanced on her chin thousands of years ago. :3