Is Belly Dancing considered risque??

Amulya

I

Ballroom

These could easily be belly dance dresses!

My teacher actually talked about this the other day. She was telling us that some people may get the wrong impression and think it is sexy but that it isn't about showing off our bodies. She was telling us how she and many others work hard to have dancers respected and avoid giving the wrong impressions to others and one way to do that is to wear a cover up when we aren't dancing and that we would never dance in a mens only club.

So my answer is no, it isn't meant to be risqué but some people will think the wrong way about it or that it is sexy even if that wasn't purpose of the dance. It really depends on the person, how much they know about the dance, different cultures, etc....Like others have said, different cultures have different views and that there are dancers out there that send the wrong impression by being overly sexual in the dance.

Last edited:

MariaAZ

But you are a DANCER and not a member of GP who sees the bedlah as a ''Harem'' costume.

Coincidently fewer dancers see bd as risque compared to non dancers. ;););)
In my opinion, Reen.Blom brings up a good point. What sector of the population is this question aimed at? Obviously, on a forum comprised of belly dancers, belly dance students and belly dance fans, the answer would be likely be "no" since most people here have an understanding of the art form, but if this question were posed on a non-BD, general public type forum I would suspect the answer might be quite a bit different. So, the answer to this question very likely depends on who is asked, and what their actual knowledge of belly dance is. Just my thought, but based on the experiences may have posted on this forum, I would say that a large (maybe not a majority, but still large) number of people would answer this a resounding "YES". Otherwise, there wouldn't be threads about dancers being subjected to name calling, rude comments or unwanted advances. SHOULD it be considered risque? I don't think so, but I'm not the one who needs to be convinced ;)

One thing I'd like to point out... some have indicated there is a general acceptance of rap video style hip hop, especially in relation to belly dance. This isn't exactly and always true. Most of the people I know would definitely categorize this style of hip hop as risque at the very least, and belly dance as tame in comparison.

Shanazel

I am not a football player nor a fan, just a member of the GP. I find those football uniforms unbelievably risque. Combined with all the butt patting and crotch rubbing that goes on, I conclude that football players are raunchy individuals whose main interest is promoting themselves and not the furtherence of the sport. This departure from what is generally accepted as good taste entitles me to say disparaging things about football with impunity. :cool:

(Would you like to know my thoughts on costumes for men's swimming and bicycle racing?)

Shanazel

Any man who willing displays his assets in that manner is just asking for it and deserves whatever ill treatment he gets. :cool:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am not a football player nor a fan, just a member of the GP. I find those football uniforms unbelievably risque. Combined with all the butt patting and crotch rubbing that goes on, I conclude that football players are raunchy individuals whose main interest is promoting themselves and not the furtherence of the sport. This departure from what is generally accepted as good taste entitles me to say disparaging things about football with impunity. :cool:

(Would you like to know my thoughts on costumes for men's swimming and bicycle racing?)

A 'would be prime minister' here ( leader of the opposition) has come in for a huge amount of ribbing over his speedo swimmers - they are known as "budgie smugglers" :lol: & .... I happen to agree with you about men and their sports costumes and actions.

I happened to have my TV on MTV channel yesterday and was quite blown away by the types & styles of dress (undress) that is worn by the various popular singers - Belly dancers risque, I think not! We are staid and totally decorous in comparison & it could be said by some to even be boring:lol:
~Mosaic

MariaAZ

Unfortunately there are plenty of people who agree with this 100%, probably people who made some of the comments discussed on this thread .

Ariadne

Ummm... while football, and swimming for that matter, isn't raunchy there are most definitely participants that are. (As are some dancers.)

Aniseteph

Aniseteph said:
Personally I don't read it as underwear - it's a costume.

But you are a DANCER and not a member of GP who sees the bedlah as a ''Harem'' costume.

But even before I started dancing I saw what belly dancers wore as costume. General public me would have said: "It's not a lingerie bra 'cos it's got material and jewels and stuff all over it and a proper dancer wouldn't prance about on stage in her undies. And it's a two piece costume so you can see the belly that's dancing, obviously. :D " :rolleyes:

I didn't really think about the harem costume aspects, but I suppose if you thought something really naughty went on on the harem then the costume would make you read that into the dance. But me, I just don't have the imagination. How harem shenanigans could be more risque than the kind of lap dancing that's out there I really don't know.

Budgie smugglers, haaahaaa haaa. The cycling reference reminded me of that picture where you could see all the budgies. :lol:

Shanazel

Tsk, Amulya, of course it is just you. The rest of us are perfectly dignified individuals who would never have rude thoughts like that one. :naghty: My own reaction to that statement was, "Except when I am hitting my thumb on the nail."

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Slightly OT, but with footballers and swimmers and their costumes, saw this and had to post it - please note, no rule against bellydancing:lol:
~Mosaic

Reen.Blom

This is EXACTLY why they are banned from taking off their shirts.. ;););)

Mosaic this sign is precious!!!

Greek Bonfire

And I chose Sadie and Kaya because they come up in google image result in google search alot AND because they are celebrity dancers. Another example? You want to see Authentic dance? Check out Dina the bellydancer.

And yes Sadie and Kaya's Outfits is what GP percievs as a typical bellydance outfit.

Well, this needs to be changed because Sadie & Kaya, as well as Dina, are not representative of the majority of bellydancers. Unfortunately, much of the GP always goes for the sleaze instead of seeking out the truth.

I dance at mostly family events. I even take photos with children of the parents who attend these events. I doubt they would take photos of me if they considered my dancing risque.

It keeps going back to the stereotype and not the real deal. Personally, I think the costumes they wear on ballroom contests and Dancing With The Stars are much more risque than I have ever worn bellydancing.