Isis Wings- technique and inspiration

gisela

Super Moderator
For the troupe, I totally need to up my Isis-wings performance. The others have other props and I am the only one with wings in this particular dance.

The thing is, I am not very good at it and I need some inspiration.
What are your favourite videos or tricks and tips?

I am really tired of the usual stuff: prancing around and waving and fluttering up and down, and I wasn't even a big fan of wings to start with. Unfortunately we are even dancing to Ice Queen, which kind of makes it even more important to do it really well, as it has been totally overused by now.

There was an amazing wings video somewhere but I can't remember where I saw it and who was in it.

If any of you guys could share some cool performances or tricks for cleaner technique or showstopping moves I would be very greatful.

I should point out that this is a show piece and not an emotional dance ;)

Thanks in advance
Gisela

Darshiva

I'd use the wings to frame your fabulous bd moves.

Wings are a prop, they are only a prop, and they can be overused in performance, often making actual dance take a back seat or not appear at all.

If you make it all about the dance and use the wings as an accent, I think (from the sound of it) you will feel happier & more confident about using them.

gisela

Super Moderator
Good advice, thanks! As it is a troupe choreography it is somewhat limited what I can change, but we ARE developing it to make it better and more advanced. We were also discussing making the whole thing more dancey and less parading and posing.
I'll certainly experiment with the framing.

gisela

Super Moderator
This dancer has a nice calmness and I think she follows the music well. It wasn't stressful to watch.

Maya Said is one of the Isis performers I have seen that is dancing the most. I quite like this one.

Corylus

Wings are a prop, they are only a prop, and they can be overused in performance, often making actual dance take a back seat or not appear at all.

This is a fair point. I think some people use them because they look impressive, especially to people who haven't seen them before, but then they rely on the wings to carry the performance without really doing any dancing.

I agree with Darshiva, make them the backdrop to your beautiful dancing :) Please post a video of your performance when you've done it, would love to see how it ends up! xx

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes I agree, but since the base choreography is set I was also really looking for some actual moves that look nice and work with the wings. Any good videos you have seen would be greatly appreciated.

Corylus

Yes I agree, but since the base choreography is set I was also really looking for some actual moves that look nice and work with the wings. Any good videos you have seen would be greatly appreciated.

Ah ok, sorry. I quite like some of Amar Gamal's dance with wings that she does on Belly Dance Super Stars at the Folies Bergere. That's the only one I can think of without trawling youtube. All the other clips that I like usually involve the dancer dropping the wings not long into the dance.

tutankhamun

When watching "Isis Wings" I always think about what Isis goddess represents. She is the matron of motherhood, nature and magic. As you rightly noted, she wouldn't prance around the stage waving her wings. What many belly-dancers miss with "Isis Wings" is to be graceful. It's more about how you move and how you present yourself.

Shanazel

I believe in short entrance with Isis wings and dance tiny bit with them, then drop.

I'm not a fan of Isis wings, but if use them you must, entering, dancing a bit, then discarding them the same way you'd do a veil seems reasonable. Are they hard to dispose of gracefully?

gisela

Super Moderator
Thanks for the additional thoughts. I'll go look for some more of Amar Gamal. Goddess stuff is not my thing but I'll take the points about being graceful and I would love that little bit of magic too. I certainly hope I am a teeny bit graceful already, but I am sure it can improve.

Shanazel: I need to wear them for about three minutes, then take them off and do a drumsolo. That is not really up for debate :D. There are a few ways to dispose of them, it is not too hard but I would like a really cool and almost "invisble" way to do it. Asmahan does a very nice trick that I am going to practice a bit to see if it fits with the dance.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thanks for the additional thoughts. I'll go look for some more of Amar Gamal. Goddess stuff is not my thing but I'll take the points about being graceful and I would love that little bit of magic too. I certainly hope I am a teeny bit graceful already, but I am sure it can improve.

Shanazel: I need to wear them for about three minutes, then take them off and do a drumsolo. That is not really up for debate :D. There are a few ways to dispose of them, it is not too hard but I would like a really cool and almost "invisble" way to do it. Asmahan does a very nice trick that I am going to practice a bit to see if it fits with the dance.

I saw on you tube sometime back a dancer undid her wings while dancing and did several spins to the back with the wings ( looked quite good) and then she gently released them with grace and went into a drum solo. It somehow showed she cared about her wings.

I hate the way some dancers just discard or toss veils & wings as if they are trash.

I am sure you will come up with something really nice.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
So flinging them into the audience while yelling "OPA!" isn't an option? :think:

:lol: Why not!? I should just hijack the choreography and go crazy ;)

Thanks Mosaic. You got a point there. I am thinking of removing the wings a little bit before to hide the point of removal.

Corylus

I hate the way some dancers just discard or toss veils & wings as if they are trash.

Agreed. Spending 3 minutes doing a beautiful veil routine then just chucking it away looks odd.

I know the BDSS are very 'showy' but I really liked Amar's performance.

Last edited:

maylynn

I'm not a wings fan either and as such do not own a pair and have never actually danced using them! I think it's because they are a kind of prop that can sort of take over the entire dance.

I would also enter with them and then discard them. I like Shanazel's OPA! suggestion. Setting them on fire could also be a good way to make them disappear... ;)

gisela

Super Moderator
Apparently not many wings-fans around here ;)
I'm in class, so can't write much, but found some videos with Asmahan. There are two specific videos I'm trying to find. Hope they are still up.

Just for clarification- I am not expecting you guys to hand me all the research. I am looking and thinking a lot myself, but in case you happen to come across something cool, could you think of me and post it here? pretty
please :)

Check out the way she removes the wings! So secretly. I like how it looks when she hold the wings at her waist in the spins.

Yay, I found one of the vids. Here she removes it in a pretty cool way. Can you spot it?

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Apparently not many wings-fans around here ;)
I'm in class, so can't write much, but found some videos with Asmahan. There are two specific videos I'm trying to find. Hope they are still up.

Just for clarification- I am not expecting you guys to hand me all the research. I am looking and thinking a lot myself, but in case you happen to come across something cool, could you think of me and post it here? pretty
please :)

Check out the way she removes the wings! So secretly. I like how it looks when she hold the wings at her waist in the spins.

Yay, I found one of the vids. Here she removes it in a pretty cool way. Can you spot it?

Took me 3 views to kind of spot it, around 1.08-9 into video, but still not exactly sure how she did it. somehow when her hand with wing is on top of her head. Pretty cool. i like the first one as well. The 1st video is very similar to what i saw another dancer do, so maybe she got it from Asmahan.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
The secret in the second video is that she uses the band on the wings as a hairband and in a spin she folds one wing in and just pulls the band out of her hair. sneaky ;)

ETA: Weeeee! I found the other vid I was looking for.

I remember it as very powerful and flowing but watching it without sound makes me a bit stressed. I'd better go home and see it again WITH sound. I do think she has good energy and flow though. I realize that I like when they move the wings freely and unattached to the body. The neck band makes it kind of static.

Wow moments: 0.38, 1.17, 2.36, the spin from 2.40, the wheel from 3.00, tent from 3.16, crazy barrelturns around 4.00! :lol: Need to try some stuff out. Too bad the wings are so big and the apartment so tiny :(

Last edited:

Daimona

I realize that I like when they move the wings freely and unattached to the body. The neck band makes it kind of static.
Yeah, but what do you think about wings that are attached to the upper arms instead if the neck?

Last edited: