Its?

Amulya

I'm curious what ITS performances you found weird, as most of the the weird stuff I've seen is Tribal Fusion or Oriental Fusion. Feel free to PM me!

There are lots of clips on youtube with the strangest fusions, I saw dancers mixing stuff with chinese and japanese things or burlesque and whatever. That's what I found weird, it is just fusion for the sake of fusion, but it doesn't look good. And what you said: weird poses and jumps.

maria_harlequin

I'm curious what ITS performances you found weird, as most of the the weird stuff I've seen is Tribal Fusion or Oriental Fusion. Feel free to PM me!

Well, maybe "weird" is pushing it a bit too much but since I'm a strict FatChance follower, a lot of other "ITS" stuff seems weird to me.

Here's an example of a set of ITS dancers that I find "weird". I mean, these ladies are good dancers. They have strong transitions, they're following the leader smoothly, and the way they execute each movement shows that they've invested a lot of time into training.

But what I can't stand are the choppy, exaggerated movements mainly with the hands and the arms (the twisty hand thing and the snappy temple arms). I didn't like how they do a lot of jumping (maybe it's just me?) and how they play with their skirts (again, choppy and jerky movements when they started using their skirts).

It's just not...elegant. One reason why I fell in love with FatChance is how elegant and strong they look while they're dancing. They're also exuding a kind of quiet, inner joy at the simple pleasure of just dancing with each other with elegance - there's no need to exaggerate movements. I've never seen them look cute and playful (something I probably associate jumping with, heh). I feel that this quiet elegance with grounded, earthy movements is the basis and the essence of Carolena's FatChance ATS and to see other ITS groups take it and turn it into something else (whether for the sake of having something different than hers or with no access to Tribal Pura ATS classes) just looks really strange for me.

Unmata doing ITS.

Happiness for me:

Last edited:

da Sage

There are lots of clips on youtube with the strangest fusions, I saw dancers mixing stuff with chinese and japanese things or burlesque and whatever. That's what I found weird, it is just fusion for the sake of fusion, but it doesn't look good. And what you said: weird poses and jumps.

I was wondering if you had any ITS examples....I'm again trying to make the point that ITS is generally quite different than Tribal Fusion.

Ariadne

Well, maybe "weird" is pushing it a bit too much but since I'm a strict FatChance follower, a lot of other "ITS" stuff seems weird to me.

Here's an example of a set of ITS dancers that I find "weird".

I really enjoyed that. ATS may be elegant but just like a courtly ballroom dance it all starts to look the same to me after a while. I liked their interpretation with the different moods to them.

Not what you intended to happen, I know. :lol:

The extra bits seemed rather Asian to me but I don't know enough to say...
[edit] or it could be the "Gitano/Gypsy dance" their site says they're certified in... or the Rajasthani, Banghra, and Bharatanatyam styles.

Last edited:

maria_harlequin

I really enjoyed that. ATS may be elegant but just like a courtly ballroom dance it all starts to look the same to me after a while. I liked their interpretation with the different moods to them.

Not what you intended to happen, I know. :lol:

The extra bits seemed rather Asian to me but I don't know enough to say...
[edit] or it could be the "Gitano/Gypsy dance" their site says they're certified in... or the Rajasthani, Banghra, and Bharatanatyam styles.

No! Blasphemy!! :)

Amulya

I was wondering if you had any ITS examples....I'm again trying to make the point that ITS is generally quite different than Tribal Fusion.

I know of several on Youtube, but I'd rather not post them, it would be a bit b*tchy I think.
There are troupes who do stuff like Unmata, but just with a lot of random-ness* trown in. I like Unmata, but I don't think it has anything to do with belly dance anymore.

*by random-ness I mean just things from other dance forms trown in but in a way it looks out of the blue, not properly matched up. For example the first clip in maria_harlequin's post the ladies every now and then hold their hands up as if someone is going to shoot them, that just doesn't make sense to me :D The Indian bits they had in it did match I think, but I have seen other troupes putting in Bharat Natyam stuff in and it just looks too weird.
That actually reminds me of a Bollywood dance class I was in, there was a tribal dancer in there as well and after the course she used lots of the stuff we learned from the course into her tribal groups' choreography, but it didn't make sense because they were movements that we learned for a special song, it didn't have any meaning anymore in their tribal dance. Now most general audience people wouldn't have known that, but having been in the exact class I could just point it all out. However the Bollywood experts would have seen of course.

Last edited:

moonstruck

I think I agree with Maria on the three vids she posted. I know I'm still new to this but the first video was nice at first but the change of arm movements and skirt action didn't really seem to necessarily go with the music - it seemed more like each of them was trying to flaunt their style when they got lead. The second video... again this is just my 'novice' opinion but it looked a bit sloppy but that may have just been because it was all so fast.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Why can't they just call it Tribal Style (TS) ????? why Improv.

There is TS in Aussie, a lot seems to be a mix of ATS/Black Sheep/Gypsy caravan, so is that ATS (Aussie tribal Style):lol: It all seems kind of weird to me. Surely TS would cover all the similar to ATS styles? F can be placed in front to designate the fusion TS:D
~Mosaic

alosha

North American Cyber-Gothic Belly Dance Fusion! Though I think I like yours better. :think:

Sita

Okay I could tell the difference between Tribal Fusion and ATS/ITS, but from just visually looking at them I would really struggle to tell ATS from ITS.
I'm interested if and how Carolena's statement effected the tribal community and the dynamics between the different styles?

for example do you feel the need to make clear what tribal style you teach or perform?
and how has it changed the way people teach tribal? is their more emphasis on clarifying what makes the styles different?

Sita

Mosaic

Super Moderator
North American Cyber-Gothic Belly Dance Fusion! Though I think I like yours better. :think:
:shok:It actually does mean something ... my goodness! what a mouthful. I thought you were joking:lol::lol:
~Mosaic

Caroline_afifi

North American Cyber Gothic fusion would be just fine :D

People dont have to list every little twist and turn in a dance.. including the word 'Belly dance' just makes it more political! :lol: