Its?

dreamthief666

well I wish people would be so understanding with regards to MED and not call it that when others things are added which fundamentally change it.

I and many others are continually saying the same thing in respect to MED.

Maybe we should bring Carolina on board to defend the MED cause... people may listen.

can you imagine the fun you could have defining things,
good luck

dreamthief666

I do both..I tend to call what I do tribal-wise either ITS or choreo'd Tribal Fusion. I am quite happy not to call to belly dance in due deference to Raqs Sharki and not to call it ATS in due deference to Carolena but I think it's a shame. I can understand wanting to differentiate between those who followed the spirit of FCBD and the BDSS/RB type fusions that followed but I think GC and Black Sheep and Domba (as was) was in that original spirit.

i'm glad we nik moves from all the main tribal groups as they all have great moves, so it'd be a shame to exclude one or another of them

lizaj

Originally Posted by lizaj

I guess it's out of the question to wonder if there may be some kind of universal term for this dance? Some kind of Esperanto thingie that is less confusing than the fusion confusion of inclusions regarding fusion?

I didn't say this Kharis can claim this witicism.:lol:

dreamthief666

I was asked a weekend ago, why I wasn't t Gothla!:confused:
Someone knows I dance tribal so assumed I am a Goth! What!
I know Goths, I've taught Goths in High School. I pass young Goths everyday in my town. The fact that Goths may have taken to a variaton of belly dance has nothing to do with "tribal" as far as I am concerned. Goth is about lifestyle and beliefs. I dare say there are people who attend Gothla events who are not Goth but who like the image (it is indeed very stylish) and who are also tribal dancers.
not sure why they thought you were a goth must be that blonde curly hair:lol:

but seriously i feel its really straight forward .gothic bellydance is bellydance in which ever form done by a GOTH

dreamthief666

I wish I could rep the last 10 posts!

This is exactly right, and I have been making noises in this direction since I heard that Carolena had talked endlessly about protecting ATS in her seminar.

The thing is, it is so easy for her to claim it and shout about it... but who can do it for ME? Especially when there are continued attempts to re-define it and widen the scope.

I also learned more about the need for distinction whilst talking to Tibal AND Fusion dancers at Raqs this year.

I thought oooH Tribal dancers are sounding to sound like me!:lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

lizaj

not sure why they thought you were a goth must be that blonde curly hair:lol:

but seriously i feel its really straight forward .gothic bellydance is bellydance in which ever form done by a GOTH

Oh I see..discriminating are we...poor ol' blonde bimbo can't be a Goth:D

Amanda (was Aziyade)

er, no -- I'd have to argue with that. Maybe it's a difference in how we define it over the pond, though.

When Taletha dances Egyptian, it's straight-out Egyptian style Raqs Sharqi.

When she's doing a Goth Dance performance, it may have elements that are recognizable as some of the same things Nagwa Fouad did, but the music, musical interpretation, and overall feeling of movement is totally different.

A Goth can be trained in classical music and perform the violin, but that doesn't mean "Serenade for Strings" is Goth music :)

dreamthief666

er, no -- I'd have to argue with that. Maybe it's a difference in how we define it over the pond, though.

When Taletha dances Egyptian, it's straight-out Egyptian style Raqs Sharqi.

When she's doing a Goth Dance performance, it may have elements that are recognizable as some of the same things Nagwa Fouad did, but the music, musical interpretation, and overall feeling of movement is totally different.

A Goth can be trained in classical music and perform the violin, but that doesn't mean "Serenade for Strings" is Goth music :)
i was more putting forward the argument that only a goth can do gothic bellydance, not everthing goths do is gothic. anyone else is mearly doing a a form of dance

meddevi

i was more putting forward the argument that only a goth can do gothic bellydance, not everthing goths do is gothic. anyone else is mearly doing a a form of dance

"GothMutha" here - technically, while those who consider themselves Goth, may have the best first-hand application in doing Gothic Bellydance - anyone who takes the time to learn about the Gothic culture, about GBD, the music, the costuming, the movement quality and attitude - can do it.

I like to relate it to any ethnic branch of Bellydance - you don't have to be Turkish to learn and perform Turkish (or Egyptian, or Lebanese), but if you study it, you can do a pretty amazing job.

(And likewise, I would also say, just b/c someone identifies as Goth, doesn't mean they'll do a good job of GBD - just like being Egyptian doesn't mean you're naturally a great bellydancer...)

That said, those who think it would be fun to do something "gothy" for the Halloween season for sh*ts & giggles, throw on too much eyeliner, some spiderweb fabric, elvira hair and dance to "monster mash" or what have you - aren't doing GBD. At best, it's a comedy piece. Fishnets, spiderwebs, and heavy eyeliner do not make instant Goth.

Kharmine

Heh. Got to admit that when I saw the title of this thread I thought it had something to do with grammar...

dreamthief666

"GothMutha" here - technically, while those who consider themselves Goth, may have the best first-hand application in doing Gothic Bellydance - anyone who takes the time to learn about the Gothic culture, about GBD, the music, the costuming, the movement quality and attitude - can do it.

I like to relate it to any ethnic branch of Bellydance - you don't have to be Turkish to learn and perform Turkish (or Egyptian, or Lebanese), but if you study it, you can do a pretty amazing job.

(And likewise, I would also say, just b/c someone identifies as Goth, doesn't mean they'll do a good job of GBD - just like being Egyptian doesn't mean you're naturally a great bellydancer...)

That said, those who think it would be fun to do something "gothy" for the Halloween season for sh*ts & giggles, throw on too much eyeliner, some spiderweb fabric, elvira hair and dance to "monster mash" or what have you - aren't doing GBD. At best, it's a comedy piece. Fishnets, spiderwebs, and heavy eyeliner do not make instant Goth.

apart from the fact i wouldn't dream of disagreeing with You, its the later that you see too much of, which then gives the gp a misguided view of it, yes its fun to do a zombie piece but its also lovely to see a dramatic piece, and as i love to do unofficial ATs and i'm british i supose that shoots me in the foot.

Caroline_afifi

what is a Goth?

I know what one looks like and i know where they hang out (in my city) but what is it exactly?

I am lost to be honest. I juts read the bit equating learning to be a Goth to do Goth Belly dance? :think:

dreamthief666

what is a Goth?

I know what one looks like and i know where they hang out (in my city) but what is it exactly?

I am lost to be honest. I juts read the bit equating learning to be a Goth to do Goth Belly dance? :think:

it would be too long to go into detail but this quote sums it up well:
a goth see beauty where others dont

you should come over to the darkside, we have cookies,