Performing During The Day

maria_harlequin

Is the performance outdoors? Personally I think it's okay to wear a nightclub outfit during the day if you're performing indoors or at a fancy outdoor private garden or something similar...but I find it slightly weird when a dancer wears a full on sparkly sequined costume outside on the street. I know some people might disagree with me! :D But I think there's something very strange about seeing a glamorous dancer in an Eman or a Bella on a sidewalk. Of course there are exceptions...like if you're part of a parade or a float or you've set up a stage outdoors to promote your event.

So for me, it's not so much about showing your belly than the costume itself. I think it's perfectly acceptable to show your belly but you might pick an outfit that's a bit less revealing and flashy...maybe something with sleeves or something that's earthy and folkloric. Think Ren-Faire gear!

My humble opinion.

GypsyStacey

We are dancing on Canada Day at a Community Hall. So it is inside, but not a fancy building or anything like that. I agree about dressing less flashy.

Greek Bonfire

Showing a little belly is what people might expect since it's bellydancing! :lol: But I agree about the real flashy costume part - that would be more appropriate for an evening setting or a very fancy showcase.

GypsyStacey

I'm comfortable showing my belly. I was thinking of a black halter tank that I can fashion into a crop top, purple vest, flare pants, purple/gold over skirt & hip scarf. Enough bling to be sparkly, but not flashy.

DancersDad

Maybe something like a nice choli top? Not so revealing as a bikini or bra top yet still allows some midriff to be exposed? Just a thought. :)

dus'

GypsyStacey

hmmm so it's the glitter that looks odd during the day makes sense.

@ Dancersdad ~ i have a great halter crop top & turkish vest that is smart looking, shows some belly, & i feel very comfortable in so i'll wear that.

DancersDad

Re: halter crop top

That sounds really nice, GypsyStacey. I'm sure it'll be a stunning outfit. :)

dus'

hmmm so it's the glitter that looks odd during the day makes sense.

@ Dancersdad ~ i have a great halter crop top & turkish vest that is smart looking, shows some belly, & i feel very comfortable in so i'll wear that.

Gia al Qamar

I personally would cover up more for a daytime show, but, like other posters have suggested, more folkloric (or more coins and less sequins) would fit the bill!