The "Who's Who" of Belly Dance!

gisela

Super Moderator
no, but she did say "current". Eshta, do you mean alive and active or "still influential"?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Samia Gamal had a huge influence on me, and one of my students. I still watch and study her videos because I love her balletic style and like to imitate it.

A lot of us are still watching her, so I would say living or not, she's a major influence!

gisela

Super Moderator
58. Nour, Egypt (Russia). Her grace and ladylike style, never crude or vulgar. Fantastic to watch when her singing husband joins her on stage.

Eshta

no, but she did say "current". Eshta, do you mean alive and active or "still influential"?

I'm going for alive and still active in some shape or form, even if it's not as active as they once were, if that makes sense.

So Mahmoud Reda I've included because his troupe is very much alive and well although his influence on belly dance has been over the past 50(plus?) years.

The only reason is because the list would become ENORMOUS as we would need to delve into belly dance history and name every fabulous dancer that's ever lived!

Maria_Aya

59. Mahmoud el Ghafar
The place to be when in Cairo in Khan el Khalili !
4 level store full of bellydance goodies.
There is a rummor that he and Moroco made popular the coin belts;)
Dancers from all the world buy costume's from him and also rare to find these days "fridge" !

Eshta

60. Youtube (the worldwide web)
For access to footage and sharing new ideas and getting inspiration.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Didn't Neon do that?

62. Neon, US, for making mass-market bellydance videos affordable.

Yeah, you're right -- she was the first.

Can I still nominate Michelle for the "Secrets of the Stage" video series, the By Dancers for Dancers performances, and for making videos based on what we'd like to see, based on posts on Bhuz, tribe, and Shira's group. ??

gisela

Super Moderator
60. Youtube (the worldwide web)
For access to footage and sharing new ideas and getting inspiration.
Oooh good one Eshta!

65. Liza Laziza- Egypt
For being a wonderful Cairo dancer and teacher and so d*** pleasant to be around, and for speaking english so exceptionally well that she is able to explain what she is doing when teaching.

Ranya

well though liza laziza is originally Iranian, she grew up in Britain, so that explains her language skills ;)

Eshta

66. Sureya Hilal, UK
Hmm, the list appears to be slowing down, which is why I'm offering up Sureya Hilal and her disciples, I believe they have an international following? For those who don't know her, Sureya has developed her own style of belly dance which she says is far more authentic than the stuff we do :)rolleyes:) with all our sequins and sexiness, and has a dedicating (dare I say 'cult-like'?) following.

Eshta

67. Aziza, USA
Not sure how big she is 'back home' but she is one of the well-known US dancers over here (possibly because she teaches here regularly), and I just seem to keep meeting dancers all over the world who have learnt from her or are inspired by her!

Aniseteph

68. Josephine Wise, UK. Teacher training and organising events like Congress and Fantasia and the summer school.

da Sage

Yeah, you're right -- she was the first.

Can I still nominate Michelle for the "Secrets of the Stage" video series, the By Dancers for Dancers performances, and for making videos based on what we'd like to see, based on posts on Bhuz, tribe, and Shira's group. ??

Definitely! I think Michelle Joyce has brought the video market to a new level of market responsiveness, with offerings for several levels (and interests) of dancers. I also respect Michelle for her straightforward way of compensating guest instructors for their time, creative, and intellectual contributions to her video line - I hear she actually pays them money, not just DVDs-to-sell.:dance: