How's the weather?

Mya

My horse thinks it is a great time to roll in the dirt, though. He was a tad messy when we brought him in last night.

The mounted branch of our police service is super close to my house and i'm always greatly amused to see these large beautiful beasts rolling around in the mud after it rains - goodness knows that i'm so foolish i'd never seen one do anything but stand far less for roll. I get quite excited. :redface:

Shanazel

Ah, mounted police. I was raised on old Jeanette McDonald/Nelson Eddie movies (not to mention Dudley Doright of the Mounties cartoons) and have always adored the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. When we went to Canada a couple of years ago I was delighted by the sight of a mountie dressed in his red uniform on the streets of Jasper. It would've been perfect had he been on his horse, but I'll take what I can get. My husband threatened to approach the gentleman and say, "Excuse me, sir, could you please arrest my wife for something? It would really make her day."

Shanazel

And still it rains! Fifty degrees Farenheit and snow in the high country. Must be September in Wyoming. I brought in my house plants last night since it was supposed to dip into the low forties and upper thirties. They have done beautifully outside this summer, but I don't think they'd like icy rain.

Jane

I forgot to bring in my plants. Lavender and all my herbs are dead. The only thing to make it are my petunias. :(

Shanazel

Aw, nuts, Jane. Maybe the lavender will come back next year. I overwinter at least one plant in the garden each year and it survives nine years out of ten. I cannot grow petunias in my yard. If the bugs don't get them, the antelope will.

Shanazel

Perfect weather! Sunshine, about 70 degrees F, a gentle wind. Kharmine and her husband are on their way up for a weekend visit and I am really pleased that the weather will be nice enough to take them out and show them our lovely part of the Rocky Mountains. Kharmine, if you have dropped in and are reading this, I miss you on the forum.

Of course, since I mentioned a gentle wind, no doubt it will be a 50 mph gale by the time they get here. Saying gale: my friends and relatives on the Texas coast have caught hell from Hurrincane Ike over the last 36 hours. A couple of the houses I lived in as a child are under water. I do not miss living in hurricane country.

Shanazel

AAAAAAANNNNDDDDDD speaking of the weather a month after the last posting, it is starting to get interesting here with our first winter storm of the season- cold, snowy, and blowy. My son is out in the mountains somewhere hunting elk and sleeping in a tent, but I am afraid I declined to accompany him and his pal this time.

I suppose it is a perfect spring down under the Southern Cross.

A

Andonia

Snowing right now in SLC, UT, and it's 32F/0C right now. In ten minutes, according to my weather channel bar, it will be closer to 35, but feel like 29. So, pretty friggin cold with a supposedly heaping side of wet, lake effect snow. It was in the sixties this week, until Thursday. Our leaves haven't dropped and the ivy on our house is still green. Strange weather this year.

Moon

19°C (66.2°F) and quite sunny. Last week it was 12°C (53.6°F) and rainy. Typically Netherlands this.

Shanazel

Does it snow where you are, Moon? or do you get some kind of tropical effect from the Gulf Stream? Please excuse my geographical ignorance. I knew intellectually that there were palm trees in Ireland, but the reality still startled me because it was so far north.

Moon

It does snow here, but usually not before November and usually not a lot. It almost never stays for more than a week before it melts again. People from Canada, Scandinavia or Alps countries could barely call it snow I guess ;) Some years it does not snow at all. Snow is most like in in December to February though it could still happen in March.

Yes we do have effect from the gulf stream, though not enough for palm trees ;)

NL Planet - The Dutch Climate

Shanazel

Thanks for the link. Chilly frog-land! I love it. A friend who lives in the American Northwest claims all natives have webbed feet in Washington.

kayshier

yep. most def. Luckily i was out of Port of Spain by mid day...so i got away.
but there is a build up of people and traffic again....

Tina Rules

It's raining and storming here in Denmark right now. And it's cold. It'll snow Saturday and the temperature will drop till -10 c...Uhh, that IS cold.

Safran

We had our first snow yesterday... So now people are already snacking on gingerbreads in the kitchen and obsessing over what to get their close ones for Christmas. Geez.

Shanazel

It was 24 degrees Farenheit when we came in about 8:00 tonight and the temps were falling rapidly. When I was out feeding the horse today, the wind was clipping along about 25 mph and I thought my face was going to freeze, so I tried to assume a pleasant expression. My cheeks and nose were numb within a couple of minutes. Want to know a secret? I adore our worst weather, even when I am busy whining about it. Any other places out there where people take perverse pride in lousy climates?