How's the weather?

Aisha Azar

Weather

Any time, babe. We have plenty of wind to spare. It is down to about 45 mph right now.

Dear Shanazel,
The Weather Oracles were predicting dire stuff like a slight warm-up, enough to cause an ice storm, which is a gruesome thing. Instead, it got up to 40 degrees yesterday and caused a lot of melting of the 26 inches of snow we had around here. Last night I had to be out and about because I had a show..... and it was really easy going out there, especially on the way back, because I think the wind caused some kind of friction, rubbing against everything and warming stuff up, and melting the ice and snow off the roads in the process. ( And now you know why I am a dancer instead of a meteorologist!!).
Regards,
A'isha

PS: We are expecting more snow today.

Shanazel

Well, we have more wind if you need it. My son and I drove to Sydney, Nebraska yesterday (about 5 hours each way) to go shopping at Cabela's and the wind damned near blew us off the road between Shawnee and Casper. My house is in a wind tunnel formed by the foothills and ridges coming off Casper Mountain and the stretch of highway a couple miles south of us is notorious for wind-flipped trucks and trailers. People complain about the wind a lot, but my husband says it just serves to separate the wheat from the chaff and the wannabes from real Wyoming residents. :D

KuteNurse

It was a beautiful winter day. The sun was shining, the temperatures were moderate for winter in the low 20's. I can't believe the amount of snow we have for this time of year. I hope the snow is done for a while now.

Aisha Azar

Weather

Dear Gang,
Well, it was sunny and slushy all day yesterday, but at this moment, a little after 7:00 AM Dec. 29th. it is snowing some lovely moderately sized flakes. I hope it does not do too much of that for the next couple of days since I need to be out there at least a few times. It is not the driving conditions I am afraid of as much as the other drivers, many of whom seem to believe that no matter what the weather conditions, we are all in the Indianapolis 500 and they are Andrio Mardretti.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Sunshine and more wind. I know exactly what you mean about the Indy 500 wannabes. Too many folks here think if they have four wheel drive they can go as fast as they want in any conditions. They don't seem to realize four wheel drive doesn't give them extra braking capacity.:rolleyes:

Moon

We will have some freezing days. People start talking about ice skating and that kind of... fun... :rolleyes:

Shanazel

So winter in Netherlands isn't like Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates? :( I imagined everyone in Netherlands skating in brilliant sunlight all winter long. Of course, it has been a while since I read that book- maybe Hans was Norwegian?

Moon

90% is like that... if we actually get strong enough ice that is.

The remaining 10% hates ice skating, cheese, pea soup and raw herring.

Edit: I looked up a bit more about that book cause I remember reading somewhere it's so popular everywhere except in the Netherlands...
Didn't even know the writer isn't Dutch and had never been to the Netherlands when she wrote the book :lol:

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Weather

Dear Shanazel,
Tonight we are expecting another 8-10 inches of snow, on top of the 8 inches we got yesterday. And then, I think 3 on New Year's Eve. And me with no snow shoes......
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

There is NO WIND. None. People are falling down all over town because they are so used to leaning into the wind and having it hold them up.

A'isha, I have been listening to the forecast for your part of the country and I think you all should be awarded the Donner and Blitzen Award for the worst weather of the month.

Moon, it has been years since I read Hans Brinker- I think I must've been in about 4th grade, which was about the end of the last ice age. Raw herring? Ugh. My husband is part Norwegian and tried once to introduce me to lutefisk, which appears to be rotten fish semi-preserved in some kind of dreadful liquid. I countered with cracklins, which is deep fried pig skin, and we decided to call it a draw. He claims every culture in the world has at least one food that people use to try and gross out all other cultures. Raw herring would do it for me from your culture. Shall I send you some chittlins? That's deep fried intestines.

Granddad

There is NO WIND. None. People are falling down all over town because they are so used to leaning into the wind and having it hold them up.

:lol::lol::lol::clap:

A'isha, I have been listening to the forecast for your part of the country and I think you all should be awarded the Donner and Blitzen Award for the worst weather of the month.

Talking about Donner and remembering that you already ate Rudolf, you could try holding a Donner party barbeque ... ooops... sorry that was the Sierra Nevada mountains

Moon, it has been years since I read Hans Brinker- I think I must've been in about 4th grade, which was about the end of the last ice age. Raw herring? Ugh. My husband is part Norwegian and tried once to introduce me to lutefisk, which appears to be rotten fish semi-preserved in some kind of dreadful liquid. I countered with cracklins, which is deep fried pig skin, and we decided to call it a draw. He claims every culture in the world has at least one food that people use to try and gross out all other cultures. Raw herring would do it for me from your culture. Shall I send you some chittlins? That's deep fried intestines.

How about Black Pudding? That's a good English dish, followed by devilled kidneys and tripe.:D

Just to keep on topic... It's cold and grey here today, snow is forecast for Friday, if we get as much as a centimetre the roads will all be gridlocked and the region will grind to a halt. :rolleyes:

KuteNurse

Hiya Grandad,

I do not feel the least bit sorry for you...lol I live in northern Minnesota and we already have like 3 feet of snow with more snow forecasted and bitter cold temperatures of -20 to -40 degrees F below zero! lol

BTW...A doc I work with currently has a foreign exchange student from Germany living with his family. The student is absolutely amazed that we drive in the stuff. It takes way more than a foot of snow to keep me off the roads.

Well, keep warm and be safe!

Happy New Year everyone!

PriscillaAdum

We're enjoying fabulous weather now and will continue to do so for the next three months or so. The rainy season has finally ended. hallelujah.
Today was beautiful. Dark blue sky, occasional puffy white clouds that looked like cotton balls. 85 degrees. Warm balmy breeze. Ahhh, sheer heaven after 8 months of non stop tropical rains. I actually did gardening today.

Now where'd I put that Piña Colada?? :cool::cool:

Shanazel

Talking about Donner and remembering that you already ate Rudolf, you could try holding a Donner party barbeque ... ooops... sorry that was the Sierra Nevada mountains

Cute, kiddo. Really twisted, but cute. You do know that one of the reindeer ran away to become a pole dancer? I always wondered why they called her Vixen.

Little bit of a breeze, bright sunshine, 19 degrees F, and a crystal clear view that stretches for a good 70 miles. I could see clear to the southern Bighorn Mts. this morning when I came down off the hill into town.

Granddad

Cute, kiddo. Really twisted, but cute.

I confess. Twisted, that's me :D I thought you were probably twisted enough (and good enough on your history) to get it.

You do know that one of the reindeer ran away to become a pole dancer? I always wondered why they called her Vixen.

:lol: I hadn't heard that one before.

Little bit of a breeze, bright sunshine, 19 degrees F, and a crystal clear view that stretches for a good 70 miles. I could see clear to the southern Bighorn Mts. this morning when I came down off the hill into town.

Wow! I'm impressed.

It's foggy and frosty here today. The water in my sport bottle in the van was frozen when I went to town this morning to fetch Mum.

Poor Mum has a man cold :(, it must be a genetic mutation of the virus. :confused:

Shanazel

I visited the site of the Donner party's ordeal when I was about 12 or 13 years old. At that time, there were still stumps of trees that the Donner party had cut down for firewood- fifteen foot stumps, if I recall correctly, because that was the depth of the snow that year.

The wind is baaaaaack. And me without my hair in braids. Two feet of hair is nothing to mess around with in a high wind- I could blind passer-bys as well as myself. My husband called to say the wind tore a huge air collector off the top of the County Health building, complete with fans, coils, and generator, and threw it some distance into a clump of bushes. Most of the wooden fences are down in my neigborhood- not ours, though. The guy that put it up used oil field well pipe.

But at least no one is falling down any more.

da Sage

I'm moving to a new place. It was pretty decent weather today for a December move: between -6 and +4 degrees F (that's -21 to -15 degrees Celsius), clear with no wind, no precipitation, and most of the ice is off the streets.:)

KuteNurse

I'm moving to a new place. It was pretty decent weather today for a December move: between -6 and +4 degrees F (that's -21 to -15 degrees Celsius), clear with no wind, no precipitation, and most of the ice is off the streets.:)

Ha...Only -4 degrees F:) lol

It is beautiful today. It has warmed up to a balmy 20 degrees F and we had 2 inches of fluffy white snow to add to our vast collection this year. I have to get moving and get dressed...I am still in jammies...lol Have a wonderful New Years Day everyone.

Aisha Azar

Weather

Dear Gang,
December 31 started out snowy but by daylight it had stopped. It did not snow again until after 10PM sometime. We went downtown to do our show and were home by 9:30 since were were scheduled early in the evening. The city streets were like driving the worst rutted dirt roads because of the melt/freeze/more snow combination, but we made it safely there and back. We woke up this January 1st to thin little snow, but now we have fluffy big flakes that mean a warming trend. Two of my dancers are working tonight so I hope the roads will be decent. ( At least its not downtown!!)
My husband told me this morning that we had 62 inches of snow in Spokane city proper, in December. Funny, it feels like so much more.....
Happy New Year to all,
A'isha